Your kit may contain burner fuel that does not have a wick. If you received burner fuel that does not include a wick, you may request a replacement from our customer service team or follow the instructions below.
To Open and Light the Burner Fuel
- Use a butter knife or similar tool with a thin edge to pry around the rim of the lid. The lid will pop off suddenly when adequately loosened.
- Use ONLY a long-handled butane lighter to light the canister, keeping clear of any flammable surfaces.
Do NOT use matches or a pocket lighter to light the burner fuel, as the vapors may flare when freshly lit and could burn fingers or sleeves.
When Using the Burner Fuel
- The instructions in the experiment will tell you that the canister will get warm, but not hot, and instruct you to handle it with your fingers while lit. DO NOT DO THIS. The gel canister get quite hot within a minute of lighting.
- Instead of pushing the canister underneath or out from under the burner stand with your fingers, use a non-flammable, heat resistant item to move the canister whenever it needs to be moved while hot.
- Recommended items that may be in your kit: thermometer, metal spatula, test tube clamp, metal tweezers. If these items are not in your kit, metal silverware can be used instead.
- The 2 oz. aluminum cups normally used to extinguish the burner fuel canister are still adequate to extinguish the burner fuel. Simply place the aluminum cup over the entirety of the opening to smother the flame.
The gel inside the canister has a fragrant smell, but it is toxic. Keep out of reach of children and pets, especially when allowing the canister to cool after use.